Thursday, August 7, 2008

School Redefined?

As I now have a junior in high school (Lahainaluna!) and a seventh grader in my house, I am learning that the concept of 'school' has been redefined. The old saying of "School Days, School Days, dear old 'Golden Rule' days, reading and writing and 'rithmatic..." has been replaced by "Social Days, Social Days, 'Do what I want to do" days, texting and ringtones and no homework" - you get the picture? We are engaging in lively discussions over the importance of school as an educational thing, not an interpersonal relationship thing. Or, try to reason with a 12 year old over the need to close one mouth and open two ears for the maximum learning experience.
But, wait a minute - something is starting to really sink in - this has to do with me! Now I can begin to appreciate how God feels when He looks at me - I'm constantly trying to redefine 'life'. You'll have to excuse me for a little while. I think I have created a thought too big for my brain to handle this morning. Let me know what you think about it. Be blessed.
Aloha -

No comments: